Let's face it, everywhere you look you see or read about Greece and there is a good reason why! Greece is a beautiful place that is filled with culture, nightlife, food. It's pretty much paradise. It is a place that you need to explore and get lost in! Here is an all out guide of things to do while in Athens, Mykonos and Santorini.
Let’s start out in Athens, Greece. Many people don’t like to stay in Athens for too long, it is more of a one day stop for them. However, I am here to tell you, Athens deserves at least 2 to 3 days of your time. This would be the place where you see a lot of the Greek culture and traditions! You walk around the street, lit by little Christmas lights and see a band playing Greek music. People are out any day of the week drinking local beer and living life. So what do you say, let’s get started!
These are the top places to visit while in Athens and yes some of my recommendations include food!
Things to see:
1. Go and visit the Acropolis and all the ruins.
2. Go to the indoor Acropolis Museum.
3. Walk around the beautiful cobble stoned streets and get some beautiful sights!
4. If shopping is your thing, there is plenty of shops in Greece!
5. Have breakfast at the Acropolis Museum. It’s fresh, local and amazing!
6. St. George Hotel is one of oldest hotels. Make a reservation to eat and get a drink there at night. It’s a rooftop with the perfect view from you seat.
7. Savvas is a great place to get local souvlaki. This is traditional grilled meat that has been marinated and then grilled. You can get it as a sandwich, or a platter either way it is a must try in Greece.
8. Visit Ta Karamanlidika Tou Fani, the cutest little deli and get all the authentic Greek food you can and probably the best meat you have ever had. Comes fresh from the butchery!
8. Visit local coffee shops and have an espresso and dessert.
9. Try out a local/modern twist to Greek food at Kuzina. Great place located right next to the Acropolis.
From Athens to Mykonos- A ferry 4-5 hours on average
Mykonos is beautiful! Filled with lots of things to do and is a big party scene but fair warning… Mykonos may by very expensive. A drink on average could start at 20 euros. Keep that in mind when visiting the beautiful island!
Beach resorts to go to:
1. Principote Panormos- great beach and place to go for food and drink, with light music to set the scene. Keep in mind that most places charge you for a sun-bed and umbrella. 100 euros for 2 people for sun-beds by the sea, 60 euros for sun-beds farther back.
2. Nammos- the most famous and heard of beach scene. To me it’s a must go. Food here is expensive but it’s worth the experience! Music is party ready! Great vibes and beats and energy from everyone there! It is a bit posh, so in my opinion if you want to dress to impress, this would be your time.
3. SantaAnna- is brand new and a must go. Largest pool in Mykonos with beautiful beach access with the most reasonable prices that can be found on the island. Starting at 40 euros for 2 sun-beds and going up to 100 euro depending on the location of your beds. Music is calm and relaxing not a party place per say.
Keep in mind that all of these places have great restaurants built into the resorts, with authentic Greek food or modern twists to Greek food.
Things to see:
4. Mykonos town is perfect for anything you are looking for. Food, drinks, shopping and nightlife, they have it all here!
5. Mykonos windmills are a great place to go for a photo opportunitiy. Lined on the shore of Mykonos it is a great place to go for a walk right across from little Venice.
6. Little Venice is a great place to eat the catch of the day. Filled with authentic seafood restaurants, it’s a must try at least once!
Mykonos to Santorini- A ferry 2 hours on average
Santorini the island of white and blue that you dream of. This place is so picturesque and the perfect place to go and relax or have some great adventures.
Things to do in Oia/Santorini:
1. Hike from Fira to Oia it’s a long hike but a great way to see the two cities on foot.
2. Watch a gorgeous sunset in Oia and remember to get their early. You’re not the only one who wants to see this beauty.
3. Wine tasting! This is a great way to get to try some local Santorini wine, it’s a beautiful experience!
4. Walk through the Oia streets and get lost! Find the most amazing desert bars and just enjoy it!
5. Go and check out all the stunning blue churches in Oia and Fira.
6. Ride an ATV down to Black Sand Beach. It’s about a 45 min ride to black sand beach without stopping, but trust me you are going to want to stop and take in all the beauty.
7. Take a Catermeran boat cruise to the volcano and swim in the hot springs. The boat should also take you to white and red sand beaches.
8. Melitini restaurant just off of the main Oia road. If you go before 5pm you will not need a reservation. Probably the best food I had in all and the prices are extremely reasonable!
9. Eat as much Greek yogurt as you can it is served at almost any restaurant!
Santorini to Athens- A plane would be 45 minutes, a ferry is 6 hours on average
There is no doubt that Greece is a beautiful place filled with culture, food, nightlife, and amazing beauty. Enjoy every bit of it while you can. After you leave you will be wanting to go back in no time.